Pages


Proverbs 22:6 "Train up a child in the way he should go, Even when he is old he will not depart from it."

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Remembering Santos

I got my hair cut today at Great Clips.   They have all of us Wrights in their computer and after I gave my phone number to the lady at the counter, she typed it in and then asked me, "Bob, who is Santos?"

That question brought back a flood of memories.  I guess I had once taken Santos there to get his hair cut and he was still listed in their system.
Patrick, Santos and Nicholas
Several years ago, Lisa went on a mission trip to Honduras.  There, she saw a little boy whose feet were basically backwards.  Her heart went out to him and, with divine intervention from the Father, events fit together so that this little boy, Santos, was able to come to the United States and live with us for a few months.  During that time, he had surgery to correct his feet.
 Santos immediately became a part of the family and even though he spoke no English (at first), we learned to communicate with one another.  It felt like I had another son in the house.   Santos became close to not only us, but many of our friends and church family.
 
At Bethlehem Walk


Congratulations!  New feet!
One of the hardest things ever was, several weeks after his successful surgery, taking him to the airport where he flew back to his home in Honduras.   I can still remember the tears as we watched him walk down the airport away from us, a boy who briefly blessed our lives by becoming part of our family.  
About a year later, one of our close friends visited Santos' village in Honduras and saw him.   He told us that Santos was running around playing, just like all the other boys.   It was wonderful news hearing that his feet had healed completely.  God does great things!

We haven't heard anything about Santos for a few years now, but Rachel keeps a picture of him on a shelf in her room and, every so often, I will scan through the pictures of the Honduran kids on the Compassion International website to look for him.
So when asked, "Who is Santos?", I told a brief story about the boy from Honduras who had captured out hearts.


No comments: