Pages


Proverbs 22:6 "Train up a child in the way he should go, Even when he is old he will not depart from it."

Monday, August 8, 2011

Ending the day with Gregorian chants



About a month ago, Michael went to the Compline service at St.Stephen's Episcopal Church. You can read about his experience here. Last night, I met him and Peyton there to have my own encounter with God at the service. I had read his account but still wasn't sure exactly what to expect.

The following description is taken from St. Stephen's website: From the ancient monastic practice of ending the day in prayer and praise of God, a new weekly Compline service is held every Sunday night at 9:00 p.m. This stunningly beautiful candlelit service features a newly formed group of singers, "Sanctuary," offering Gregorian chant and Renaissance polyphony.

We entered the church and it was like stepping back in time to an old monastery, or how I envision one. It was utterly quiet with only candles at the front lighting what I call the cathedral. There were others there, quietly praying or contemplating, and we slipped quietly into a pew. Very soon, singers in the back began chanting hymns and for the next thirty minutes I closed my eyes and just listened and prayed. At the conclusion, I heard the singers walk out of the room and into the courtyard outside, the chanting slowly fading into the distance as they left.

I had never experienced anything like this before. It was surreal, and yet a beautiful way to end the day and begin the week.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.4

No comments: